- We offer 24 hour cover for emergencies such as lambings and sick animals. All our vets are capable and experienced in difficult lambings and performing caesarians.
Ram fertility testing
Ram fertility testing
- We have both the equipment and the expertise to perform the invaluable service of ram semen testing. This procedure is carried out on-farm or at the surgery in Barnard Castle. We collect semen either via electro-ejaculation using a ram-specific probe or with an artificial vagina. The sample is then analysed under a microscope to give an immediate result of the status of the ram’s fertility.
- We regularly undertake procedures such as foot trimming, blood sampling and vasectomies.
- We also train our clients to perform routine tasks such as tailing, rubber ring castrating and foot trimming.
Flock health planning
- We provide flock health advice and plans including vaccination protocols to protect your flock.
- We run the Teesdale Flock Health Club, membership gives access to quarterly meetings, annual benchmarking, individual flick health planning and an enhanced post mortem service from Farm Post Mortems Ltd.
- Our flock health planning incorporates advice and training on the following key areas of flock management.
- Lameness control – very few flocks are free from infectious lameness. We can advise on how best to deal with this condition on your farm with training in foot trimming, foot bathing and use of vaccines and antibiotics.
- Parasite control – resistance to worm and fluke treatments is becoming more prevalent, we use faecal egg counts to assess the level of infection on your farm and check that treatments have worked.
- Body condition scoring – getting your ewes in the correct condition at mating and lambing is critical for producing good numbers of healthy lambs. We can provide training in how to assess and record body condition, then advise on how to correct problems.
- Flock health investigations such as abortion, ill thrift in growing lambs and/or ill thrift in breeding sheep in breeding sheep.
Advanced Breeding Services
- Bull and tup fertility testing with electroejaculator or artificial vagina. This allows assessment of fertility before the start breeding period to ensure compact calving/ lambing. This can also be done in response to a suspected fertility problem.
- Semen collection and freezing for AI in cattle and sheep. This allows you to have a store of semen should the worst happen and you lose your prize bull/ tup. You will also have semen available for AI either with your own animals or for sale to other farmers.
- Synchronisation programmes and AI in cattle. Synchronisation programmes eliminate the need for heat detection and allows a group of cattle to be AI’ed at the same time leading to a compact calving period. The use of AI allows for genetic improvement of your herd without the cost or disease risk of buying in a bull.
- Full cattle AI service.
- Laparoscopic AI in sheep.
- Embryo transfer and flushing in cattle and sheep.